Monday, February 23, 2015

Countdown to Amicalola: The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance

Looking through Cumberland Gap into Kentucky. Right here is near where Virginia and Kentucky border each other, but Tennessee is also part of this picture. This picture has nothing to do with the Appalachian Trail, but it does have everything to do with thinking about weather that isn't incredibly freezing cold.


Date: February 23, 2015
Current Week: 02/18/15 - 02/24/15
Days until Amicalola: 30
Pounds to next weight goal: 6.4 (+1.0)
Total loss Last Week: 1.0
Weight Goals Met: 0
Minutes Exercised, Yesterday: 39
Minutes Exercised, Last Week: 162
Minutes Exercised, Week: 89
Miles Hiked, Yesterday: 1.10
Miles Hiked, 2015: 3.76

So a night where I gave in and had some snacks masked a day of short, yet vigorous, hiking. I took a trip out to Spring Valley Nature Preserve here in Schaumburg to give my microspikes a good tryout. While the hike wasn't anything too bad, it was certainly icy. Between the melt from the rare thaws we've had since the Super Bowl Sunday storm and a fair amount of traffic on the main trail, the path was a sheet of ice. I never had an issue with traction, worrying more about stepping in a now-frozen foot hole that could possibly turn my ankle.



Despite the temperature being in the middle teens during the hike, I stayed mostly warm. This was thanks to wearing double socks and wearing two layers of pants. I also hiked with my coat, something that won't be so possible come the trail. Some of the last purchases I've made for the hike have been some clothing, primarily clothing to keep me warm during the early cold period.

No comments :

Post a Comment