Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Hiking Training Plan: Week 5 Recap

Week: July 15 - July 21
Miles Hiked (Week): 0
Miles Hiked (Month): 9.5
Miles Hiked, (Month Goal): 10
Miles Hiked (Yearly Total): 17.03
Pounds Lost (Week): 0.6
Pounds Lost (Total): 10.2

Sometimes it is good to just take a weekend and relax. I had intended to make it out to Forest Glen while I was home visiting my family, but rain and lethargy kept me from it. Considering this, and how poorly I ate over the weekend, I'm a bit surprised that I ended up losing weight for the week. I've gotten pretty good at figuring out how to keep at it during the week. Weekends, however, are still a problem.

So, here I sit, with only one weekend left in July and a half mile left to hit my monthly goal. I suppose now would be a good time to share what constitutes a hike. Basically, any amount of walking that is either done with a pack on my back, or is done on a surface that isn't paved, or is a trail in nature. In other words, there is some leeway. For example, road walking at a state park or forest preserve would count as hiking, but walking along a road in my neighborhood does not. Basically, if I'm doing it after work, it is walking, not hiking. As such, I only really have two days to hit that goal. I think I can hike half a mile either Saturday or Sunday.

With the significant loss of weight, I've been noticing my clothes fitting better. I've also noticed an increase in energy, and an improvement in how I handle inclines and strenuous terrain. Instead of being absolutely spent when I go uphill, and I'm now only mostly spent. It's a small but noticeable improvement.

2 comments :

  1. way to go, brudda! Every small improvement adds up, too, and you've been amazing. With the fall weather around the corner I'm sure you're going to have lots of plans for hiking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bet. I'm happy to say I hit my goal for July, with six miles or so to spare. Of course, that will be part of the next update.

    ReplyDelete