Tuesday, November 9, 2010

John Muir once said "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks". As I sit here in front of my computer with Mr. Muir's quote in mind, I think over the challenge my brother, Andrew, proposed last week.

"Let's hike the Appalachian trail".

Well, to be fair, he didn't say it quite like that. I guess that was just paraphrasing. The idea is there though. And so this idea of hiking roughly 1200 miles and taking a good portion of a year has been festering in my mind. I say that because lately every thought has been going back to this hike to end all hikes.

When I think of all of the issues surrounding it, actually completing the hike isn't even remotely a worry. I'm extremely excited at the prospect of doing something so wonderful and challenging and surely amazing. Agreeing to see this through didn't even take a millisecond. What worries me more is the more practical (read: lame) things surrounding our preparations. What if I get my internship that I've wanted to do for the past few years? What if I don't get it? How will I continue to pay off student loans while I'm out on the trail?

I guess I'm just trusting that these things will fall into place. Finding the time isn't an issue; I feel like such an adventure is worth taking time off between graduating college and starting the hunt for Grad School. My other plans can also be pretty flexible, especially considering they revolved around traveling.

Other things, like saving up money for equipment (and a new camera...), will work out too. If there's a will there's a cliche, right?

Besides, I've got plenty of time til 2012...at least I think so.

No comments :

Post a Comment